The mission of the Asia Pacific Forestry Education Coordination Mechanism (AP-FECM) is to promote forestry education by strengthening cooperation and taking collaborative actions that contribute to furthering Sustainable Forest Management (SFM).
The Asia Pacific Forestry Education Coordination Mechanism will work with as many partners as possible to build a platform for promoting strong collaboration in SFM education in order to improve overall capacity in SFM in the Asia-Pacific region. The specific objectives of the mechanism include:
- To provide a platform for exchanging academic information and sharing education resources between forestry institutions;
- To promote innovation and reform in forestry education and share achievements;
- To improve overall capacity in SFM in the region.
In order to achieve these objectives, the Asia Pacific Forestry Education Coordination Mechanism will, amongst other actions:
- Develop an appropriate model to train next-generation foresters who will be able to apply SFM knowledge to forest management practices;
- Identify key problems and issues in forestry education through regular forestry education meetings and surveys;
- Seek cooperation and develop collaborative programs in areas of common interest that will promote forestry education on SFM.